Hindu families observe Ganesh Chaturthi commemorate the advent of Lord Ganesh. He is the oldest son of Lord Shiva and Parvati. Before beginning any auspicious activity or job, Hindus worship Ganesh. He removes impediments and prepares the path for development, success, and wealth.
Ganesh Chaturthi is observed with tremendous devotion across India, and you can perform Ganpati visarjan at home following the rituals. This is the country's most popular festival. People carry Lord Ganesha murtis home to worship the Lord in a certain manner for a day and a half, three days, five days, seven days, or eleven days, depending on family custom and individual commitment.
The idol is customarily submerged at a beach on the last day of devotion in a colorful and musical parade. Although many people celebrate this event, they are unaware of the proper Ganesh visarjan procedure. You will learn how to do Ganesh visarjan in this article.
Significance of Ganesh Idol
Nothing is better than a Ganpati idol to bring immense optimism and luck into your home. A Ganesh statue or image in your house brings good luck and riches.
A Ganesh murti is a flawless symbol that teaches significant concepts such as:
- It takes a large mind to think big.
- Large ears for cautious listening.
- Concentration requires small eyes.
- The Smaller mouth means speaking less.
- One tusk to keep only goodness. The broken tusk signifies a wise individual who is beyond dualism.
- A lengthy trunk to stay versatile.
- Big stomach for digesting both good and evil.
- The four arms of Lord Ganesha represent the four attributes: mind, intelligence, ego, and conscience.
Let the magnificence of these Ganesh Idols transform your living space -
Significance of Ganesh Visarjan
- You may be doing Ganesh Chaturthi Puja at home for the first time this year. Then you should know how to do Ganesh visarjan at home and follow Ganesh Chaturthi's rituals.
- Avahan (invitation or invocation), Puja (worship), and Yathasthan are the three steps of any Hindu puja (sendoff). During the prayers, the main god of Puja is placed on a pedestal. Then a Kalash (holy pot) filled with water, betel leaves, and coconut are placed on the platform. The family does the Puja following tradition.
- Yathasthan means the courteous sendoff to the god following prayers and thanking the Lord for his favors. Ganesh Visarjan is a goodbye ceremony in which worshippers take Lord Ganesh out in great style to mark the closing of the celebrations.
How to Do Ganesh Visarjan At Home
The notion of Ganesh Chaturthi is that during Ganesh Chaturthi, Ganesha visits the homes of his followers. He brings good fortune, optimism, success, and pleasure into all houses. During His brief visit, He eliminates all impediments. He returns with all of his difficulties and sadness.
People acquire a new Ganesh murti for Ganesh Chaturthi puja constructed of perishable materials such as clay, lime paste, paper pulp, etc. These statues are placed at the altar to welcome Ganesh into the family. Following the Ganesh Chaturthi puja, the idol is kept in the puja room for three to ten days till the family bids the Lord farewell. This is referred to as visarjan. The idol utilised for the Puja is given a grand goodbye and submerged in a river or lake as part of the Visarjan.
Ganesh Visarjan is performed on one and a half days or the third, fifth, seventh, ninth, or eleventh day, depending on family custom. On Ganesh Visarjan, the family assembles in front of the idol. The family members perform the final Puja with flowers, diyas, incense sticks, sweets like modaks, ladoos, and other special foods. The Puja is completed by waving a camphor flame in front of the statue.
The entire family prays together. The household chief then sprinkles turmeric rice, known as Akshad, on the idol before performing a namaskar. As a gesture of beginning the farewell trip, the eldest male family member holds and delicately moves the idol.
As they bid Lord Ganesha farewell, they must serve him curd and sweets. The family wraps some rice and cereal in a crimson cloth to escort him on his return journey to his home. The family then chants Ganesh shlokas. The selected male member carries the idol and takes it around the home one last time.
More members assemble for the visarjan and head off to give the Lord farewell. When the Ganesh idol arrives at the visarjan location, generally a body of water such as a river, lake, pond, or sea, it is reverently immersed in the water. At the same time, Ganesh's names and slogans are chanted.
There are no unique mantras for Ganesh Visarjan. The only chant performed is as follows:
Mushikavaahana modaka hastha,
Chaamara karna vilambitha sutra,
Vaamana rupa maheshwara putra,
Vighna vinaayaka paada namasthe
O Vinayaka! The remover of all obstacles, the son of Lord Shiva, with a very short form, with the mouse as Thy vehicle, sweet pudding in hand, wide ears and long hanging trunk, I prostrate at Thy lotus-like Feet!
Important Notes During Ganesh Visarjan
- The devotees should carry the Kalash to the beach. The materials, as well as the water in the Kalash, should be immersed in the water.
- If you are bringing Ganpati home next year, bring sand for the Sandli (the paath on which Ganeshji Murti rests) and coconut for the Kalash. You can wrap it in a crimson cloth and keep it in your shrine. You can immerse that tied coconut the next year and preserve the fresh coconut.
- If you don't want to bring Ganeshji home the following year, you can submerge the Kalash's coconut with the Kalash water and other components.
- Return home and take a bath after the immersion.
- Place the Sandli where Ganeshji used to sit at home, then take it down the next day.
- The supari and rice you stored beneath Ganpati earlier should also be submerged the next day.
- The money saved under the Sandli can be utilized for any Holy cause, such as poor feeding.
Lord Ganapati brings happiness, joy, optimism, and luck when He comes to your household during Ganesh Chaturthi. You are responsible for doing the deity's Puja per the rituals and your family customs. Try to avoid any performance from Avahan to Visarjan that can bring some obstacles for the family members. Hope you have got a basic and clear idea of properly doing Ganapati visarjan at home.